Having been to a good few baby and toddler music sessions, I can say, without doubt, that this was the absolute best.
When I arrived and saw the number of parents and babies in the church hall on Exmouth Market, I knew that this was probably going to be good. There were so many chairs laid out that it was a little like a concert (a really, really fun one), but there was also lots of room at the front for little ones to dance and play, or sit on cushions.
Harriette seems to have endless energy. She and her band pen the songs, and each one was accompanied by guitar, banjo and even kazoo! From the website, it looks like different members of the band contribute with other instruments, too. The focus is very much on joining in, and not bothering too much about the audience staying in tune or making a mistake, which was right up my street 😉 I wouldn’t want to spoil any surprises, but there really is plenty to keep babies, toddlers and adults entertained and participating!
The bab was a bit overtired, so unfortunately we had to leave halfway through, just as they were getting the parachute out, but we’ll certainly be there again next week.
What a find! A real gem of a group.
- Website: www.singalongsongs.co.uk
- Location: The Church Hall (you really can’t miss it), 24 Exmouth Market, EC1R 4QE
- Opening times: Wednesdays 10-11 and 11-12, and Thursdays 11-12. Check their timetable for holiday closures.
- Getting there: The 19, 38, 341 and the 153 stop a short distance away – alight at Finsbury Town Hall. Alternatively, it’s a ten minute walk from Angel or a thirty minute walk from Highbury.
- Cost: free, but a suggested donation of £5 helps to keep it free for those who need it.