In no particular order, five lovely spots to eat out in Islington, each with a mark out of 5 for baby-friendliness. They all do a great line in food for grown ups, but you will need to bring your own baby food!
* Romeo’s gluten free bakery, Upper Street, 020 7354 8945 Romeo’s may cater towards those who don’t eat gluten, but this really is food for everyone. Great all day breakfasts, cakes to die for and a good cup of coffee at sturdy wooden tables make this a good place to meet up with other Islington mamas. None of that cardboardy gluten free bread that you might get at the supermarket! There is enough space for a couple of buggies and a nice corner table with a bench if you’d like a little privacy to feed. They do have high chairs, the sort in which your baby will need to be able to sit independently. The changing table is good: in easy reach of the sink and with a large windowsill directly behind, which is useful for the changing bag!
Babyfriendly rating: 4/5
* The Pig and Butcher, Liverpool Road, 020 7226 8304 As the name suggests, this pub-style restaurant serves up excellent meaty fare and craft beer, with meat and game sourced from Kentish farms, and fish from Cornwall. Their Sunday lunches are delicious – superbly cooked meat, enormous Yorkshire puddings and yummy veg to share. There is an option to have a whole roast chicken for the table. The high chairs are your typical wooden restaurant high chair, so your little one will need to be able to sit up independently, and on busy days it can be quite cramped with a pushchair. There is a changing table in the ladies’, but strangely is about 4 feet high so can be… challenging!
Babyfriendly rating: 3/5
* The Blue Legume, Upper Street, 020 7226 5858 The Blue Legume in Islington is one of three (the others are in Stoke Newington and Crouch End) and does a particularly good brunch, with a varied menu including the usual brunchy dishes plus some good extras, such as their incredible fruit platter (although this is strangely advertised as ‘waffles’ on the menu… Waffle scoffers may be disappointed…). There are a few high chairs, and plenty of room in the space towards the back for buggies, with a couple of larger tables making it a good place to meet friends. A decent changing area adds to the babyfriendliness!
Babyfriendly rating 4/5
* The Crown, Cloudesley Road, 020 7837 7107 This pub actually do a mothers and babies lunch on Tuesdays, and you can’t get more baby friendly than that! With a £10 menu, plenty of room for buggies and a designated baby area with mats and toys, The Crown is a perfect place to meet Islington mama and Islington papa friends for lunch.
Babyfriendly rating: 5/5
* Sunday, Hemingford Road, 020 7607 3868 Tucked away from the main Islington thoroughfares, Sunday is a real find. Think Ottolenghi meets Caravan with breakfast, lunch and dinner, and excellent teas and coffees to have in or take away. The place is pretty tiny, so ideally you leave the buggy outside, or bring baby in a carrier. They do have a high chair for independent sitters and the staff are all lovely with babies and small children. In the summer, there is the bonus of the back garden, although the narrow steps down are not overly baby friendly. Prepare to queue at weekend brunch time, but it is much quieter during the week. Be aware – there are no changing facilities.
Baby friendliness 2/5, but the delicious food and warm atmosphere almost make up for it!
Do you know a great place in Islington to meet and eat, with baby in tow? Comment below to share your experiences!